Art by R. R. Pollak
Saturday, June 30, 2012
STARR TRIBUTE
I did this art as a tribute to Dale Messick's 1940 comic strip creation, Brenda Starr Reporter. It will be printed as a postcard for the Brenda Starr Fan Club members and . . . Covered, the art blog!
I was fortunate enough to meet Dale Messick several times, and she was an inspiration! I grew up reading her comic strip in the Daily News and Newsweek.
Katy Keene artist John Lucas told me Dale's comic strip inspired Bill Woggon to create Katy Keene as a comic book in 1945. I have already drawn homage pieces for Woggon's characters. So this is a new addition to my postcard art set. What a fun history!
Check out Covered blog to see original versions of Brenda and Katy that inspired my work. http://coveredblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/robert-pollak-covers-brenda-starr-1.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment